Friday, December 11, 2009

Gingerbread Houses

This week for our activity with the MiaMaids (LDS youth group, ages 14-15), we decorated gingerbread houses. Since I helped bake the gingerbread, I had some extra and thought it would be fun for the kids. Jana kindly donated their leftover Halloween candy (Yes, they really did have tons left!) and the kids were in heaven. They seriously worked non-stop on them for two hours. Just decorating with candy. (Kylene and I had "assembled" the "houses" earlier in the day.) It was a lot of fun to watch their excitement, although I think they ended up putting more candy on the houses than they even got trick or treating. No joke. (And we won't mention the mess it created!) But they loved it.
Kylene focused on getting it just right.

It's not hard to get a smile from Spencer when there's candy involved!
Spencer's finished product. We didn't even attempt a structure with him. Just give him a slab, some frosting and some sugar and he is happy:).
Kylene's finished product. Can you see Santa and his sled on the roof with his bags of toys? The m&m reindeer are beside him. Mrs. Claus is the large lollipop on the ground (lying down). Then there is a picnic table with food in the foreground.
My kids have been on a major sugar high the last two days. Joy. Notice I didn't label this post "Christmas traditions". Call me a scrooge, but I don't think gingerbread houses are my thing. My poor kids.

4 comments:

Cami! said...

Kylene looks so old in the picture!

We loved this post and pictures.

Love, Nate and Cami

Chrystal said...

we never did gingerbread houses growing up, either. I am impressed that you kept smiling thru all that mess!

Alee and Brandon said...

Those look SCRUMPTOUS!!! :)

Shiara said...

That looks like one yummy gingerbread house!! :)