Sunday, December 6, 2009

Christmas Traditions, Part 1


We were excited to begin our holiday traditions this week. Kylene begged and begged, so I got down the Christmas decorations and started decorating on December 1st. It's been a work in progress but other than our Christmas tree being decorated, I'd say we're mostly there. It's been so fun to see how excited her and Spencer have been about them. They have re-arranged our nativity sets dozens of times. Here are a few of the other family traditions we did this weekend.


TRADITION: Going to see the Salem Community Nativity Festival with the Godfrey & Richards.

Friday evening we met our good friends, the Godfrey's and Richard's at the Stake Center to view the nativity. It is a huge event with hundreds of nativities filling the Cultural Hall. They also have continual live performances from groups from all over the community performing in the Chapel. The kids' favorite ones were the Little People nativity and nativity made out of white chocolate. I love the amazing variety and different ones from all over the world.


After walking through the exhibit, we made a run to Dairy Queen for ice cream so the kids could get out some of their pent up energy!


Kylene & Spencer at the Nativity.

The Group.

I guess this goes along with my initial writings about decorating the house. Saturday Kyle braved the cold weather we are having to put up the Christmas lights. Every year we do a little bit more. Last year, he only did the tree in front of our house. This year, he added one run along the lower eave and the front post. We'll see if it keeps growing next year, but for now I think they look great!

The "manly" task of putting up the Christmas lights.


The finished product, from the porch.

The finished product, from the street.


TRADITION: Cutting down a live Christmas tree.

There are Christmas tree lots everywhere in Oregon. There are Christmas tree farms everywhere, too. It is definitely "in my blood" to go as a family to cut down a live tree. I don't know if I could have a Christmas without it. (Well, of course I could, but I hope I never have to!) Saturday we went to a farm about five minutes from our house and chose our favorite tree. We decided on a Grand Fir this year and it's needles had curved a little from a heat spell we had this summer. So, it has a little more personality than usual and I kind of like it. It is in our garage for a few days so all the spiders will crawl out and we won't have as many in our house! ;)

All bundled up, ready to traipse through the mud and cold to find the perfect Christmas tree.

This is "the one".
The kids watching Kyle cut the tree down. Go, daddy!

Kyle showing us how strong he is, i.e., carrying the tree to the car.


TRADITION: First Presidency Christmas Devotional
Every year we watch the First Presidency Christmas Devotional together as a family. We also make a tradition of popping popcorn, drinking chocolate milk, and eating in the living room while we watch. This might not seem like a big deal, but when you're two and five years old and you NEVER get to eat in the living room, this is a really big deal. I remember what a huge deal it was growing up when I could eat somewhere other than the kitchen and now I love to see the excitement in my kids over the same, simple delight.

Watching the First Presidency Christmas Devotional with a big bowl of popcorn.
Ready to watch.


2 comments:

Glen & Kat said...

You're haircut is cute! And I like the idea of a big bowl of popcorn during the devotional, I think that would also go over well in our house...I'll have to remember that for next year.

Beth said...

Yeah for Christmas traditions! That's a great post idea. Your hair does look so cute!