Friday, March 16, 2012

Ode to the Swagger Wagon

Okay, I admit it: I love, love my van!  Also known as a Swagger Wagon, I am so grateful to own a Toyota Sienna.  We bought it shortly before Skyler was born.  Kyle got teased at work about buying a "mommy missile", but I had no interest in a (potentially cooler) SUV.  I was actually excited to get a mini-van.  (I know, I know.)  We debated between the Odyssey or Sienna (yes, I am a Honda/Toyota snob), but went with the Sienna.  And I have loved it ever since.  It drives so smoothly and it fits SOOO much in it, in so many different configurations.  And I love that we ended up buying the eight passenger option: I can't tell you how many times I've had six kids screaming and singing in the back and LOVED it.

So, with that bit of background, you'll be as saddened as me when you see what I did to my beloved van this week:


Yes, it was painful!  What's even more painful: it was my fault!  (GASP.)  My first ever at-fault car accident.
Wednesday evening I was going to the church for a meeting.  It was a few minutes after 7:00, dusk, and pouring down rain.  The cars in front of me suddenly screeched to a halt but, alas, I couldn't screech fast enough.  My anti-lock brakes tried their hardest but they just couldn't do it for me.

Fortunately for me, the lady I rear-ended was super nice and understanding.  She was driving a Toyota Sequoia, so I only hit her bumper.  She "couldn't believe" she didn't hit the car in front of her and her anti-lock brakes were freaking out, too.  (I guess that was supposed to make me feel better?)  She has the same insurance company as me, which does make things easier.   And both cars were still drivable afterward.  Thankfully, I did have time to swerve enough so the impact was the side of both vehicles, so my air bags didn't activate.

I took the van into the auto body shop yesterday and the damage appears to be only external.  I hit a "pocket", behind which is only air, so no engine damage.  Phew.  It will take about four days to repair.  Unfortunately, we don't have rental car coverage, so I'm going to try and make do without a car for most of next week to save the money: we'll see how that goes.

So, I guess if it had to happen, it turned out pretty well.  But, I'm still sad.  I was unkind to my van that has treated me so well.  I promise to try to be nicer from now on.  Please forgive me, swagger wagon.

No comments: