Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ward Campout & Oaks Park

Friday & Saturday was our ward campout at South Beach State Park. Sorry, no pictures of the event, but we had a great time. Friday we set up camp, played with friends, did our "Daddy the Camel" skit at the campfire, and went to bed very ready to sleep. Too bad we didn't sleep:). Well, I guess the kids did, but isn't staying awake all night then finally waking up sore what camping as an adult is all about?! LOL! Saturday we enjoyed breakfast, more playing as we cleaned up camp, then we headed down to the beach for kite flying, sand digging, sand castle building, talking with friends, running down the hills, and eating a yummy lunch. The kids slept the whole way home. And I loved that the only food I had to pack for this campout was one gallon of apple juice. Nice!

Monday night Cricket sponsored a "Family Fun Night" at Oaks Park. It was a "somewhat private" shin-dig; meaning it was open to the public, but only for those who a) knew about it; and, b) bought the discounted tickets ahead of time. So the park was only mildly crowded. The hot, hot day turned into the perfectly cool evening: perfect for our kids' first introduction to a fair. They had a blast.

Mommy & Skyler on the carousel.
Spencer & Skyler being silly while waiting to get on the ferris wheel.
More silliness.
One of the favorite rides: the tilt-a-whirl. I had to coax Kylene to get on it the first time, but then she went rode it about five more times. The "biggest" ride they went on: The Spider. The kids were begging for it but it had the longest line and I was worried they would get scared, so I tried to talk them out of it several times. But, no, they insisted...and LOVED it. Kylene declared it her favorite.
Kylene & mommy on the ferris wheel.
Mommy's favorite ride: The Frog Hopper. I know, call me pathetic, call me a wimp. But, I love the smoothness of the ride, and the way it "tickles" your tummy. I was giggling the entire time. Isn't that what a fair is for? (I'll be the "ride with the little kids" parent; Kyle can be the "ride with the big kids" parent. I'm totally okay with that.)
Carousel again.
Spencer liked riding backwards on the "rocket" ride.
Whoa, look at the speed on the kiddy roller coaster. Kyle & Spencer are in the yellow car. Aren't you impressed with my photography skill? How did I ever capture that with a point & shoot, you wonder?!
Oh, such thrill seekers!
I love being a parent of young children. So many firsts. Everything is an adventure and so incredible. You can laugh and cry and laugh again, all within a matter of minutes. If I could "pause" life where I wanted for a little while, I wouldn't mind pushing pause right now.

3 comments:

Lance and Mandy said...

When are you coming down? Love all the cute photos.

Memory said...

I love it! I'm so glad to see how much fun you guys had. OHSU is doing theirs at Oaks Park, too, on the 6th. I was wondering if there would be much for the kids to do. I'm really excited now. And as I was just starting to peruse your blog today, Maren came up, saw one of your pictures and said, "I just love that family." Aaaahhh...sweet!

Cristie Jensen said...

I remember oaks park, drove by there every day to work but only went maybe twice. One of my cousins had her reception there in one of the big buildings. Memories...