Spencer, poor boy, his cough and congestion turned into a sinus and ear infection. Ten days ago we put him on an antibiotic called Augmentin, which has Amoxicillin in it. Well, this morning, which should have been his last day on the antibiotic, he woke up with a rash on his face and really red ears that he wouldn't stop rubbing. I didn't think much of it since he has had a mild fever as well and I know that can be normal. But, as the day wore on (I kept him home from church fearing people would not be especially excited to see a rash baby in the row next to them), the rash spread to his entire body and kept getting worse. Finally, when his ears were really swollen and his legs were looking a purple-bluish hue, I thought this had to be more than just an allergic reaction to something, so we took him into Urgent Care. (Why do these things always seem to happen on weekends?) Of course, it is just a bad case of hives and it looks like he is allergic to penicillin. (This is hard for me to believe, but I guess I better come to terms with it.) So, we've got him on lots of Benadryl and hope it won't last the four to five days it can. He really is quite the sight, as you can see from these pictures (even though they don't really do it justice). Thankfully, he's acting mostly normal and is not contagious, although the lady with her two kids who is next to me in the checkout line at the grocery store won't know that!
I just hope this is the last of the "yucky's" in our house for a long time. It is getting old.

4 comments:
OH, poor little guy! I hope you all start feeling better soon!
How sad! Last year Kaden had a reaction to penicillin with 1 day left of the medication. But his rash wasn't as bad as Spencer's and only lasted 1 day. Good luck with that and I hope everyone gets better soon.
Oh, I could just about CRY over these pictures!!! He is so cute...and with a smile on his face. And those itch SO BAD!! Yikes! Poor guy. I hope EVERYONE is feeling better very soon. You gave me a really good laugh over the bruised uterus thing. Ha!
Oh, Amyanne. It looks so miserable! I hope it clears up as quickly as possible.
Post a Comment