Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Visit to Susan in Palmyra!

Friday, April 24, started my (Amyanne's) unforgettable weekend to Palmyra, New York, to visit my college roommate for two years (Freshman and Sophomore years), Susan Collie.  It was so wonderful and rejuvenating in every way.  I felt so spoiled to get to spend time with her and see the Sacred Church sites.  Thank you, Susan, for being such an amazing hostess!  I can't wait for the next trip.

I flew all day Friday--arriving in Rochester at 11:00 p.m.  The man I sat next to on my final flight said she was a really good friend to pick me up at the airport that late.  Yes, indeed!  Saturday and Sunday we played, toured, and relaxed--and slept a little.  It was so fun!  Then Monday, I left bright and early (my flight left at 5:50 a.m., so I got up at 3:30, or 12:30 a.m. Spokane time) and spent the day flying back across the country.  Even the flights, although they were long, were relaxing and enjoyable reading, listening, and watching whatever I wanted to.

The highlight of the trip was probably the time we spent in the Palmyra temple.  We were blessed to be part of a live Endowment for a cute older couple in their ward.  Then we got to go watch them be sealed, then their son sealed to them, then their parents and them sealed to their parents.  The Spirit was so strong.

 Saturday after eating lunch at Dee's, a yummy Mexican restaurant, we got pedicures together, complete with grapes and waters:).  It's become a tradition to get pedicures when we get together!  Yay!
 Pictures in Palmyra
 Susan's parent's own a beautiful farm on the main road between the Sacred Grove and the Hill Cumorah.  It is called Amsden's Ark.  Her younger sister lives next door on some acreage as well.  They have lots of different animals.  My favorite were the chickens, since I love farm fresh eggs.  I even went and helped gather some at 9:00 p.m. Saturday night:).  This is Susan with her neice, JoDee, holding one of their spring baby chicks.
 Sunday was a Northeast Regional Conference Broadcast from Salt Lake.  Elders Andersen and Hales spoke with two other general authorities.  It was so powerful and so neat to be a part of.  Susan needed to go early to warm up with the choir (she is the pianist), so two of her boys, David and Jacob, and I walked from their chapel over to the Sacred Grove.  We got a mile and a half walk in before church started that morning.  It was a cool spring morning and so fresh and peaceful to walk through the grove and around the Smith property.

We went back that afternoon and took pictures inside the Log Home and Frame Home. We also went to the Hill Cumorah and saw the beautiful Visitors' Center there.  There is such a beautiful spirit at all these places.  I loved being there.

Sunday afternoon and evening we relaxed, looked through old scrapbooks, talked and laughed. We also got chocolate chip cookies and Pringles to eat, just for memories' sake, of course:).

I am amazed that our friendship can still be as strong and fun as ever, even after almost 20 years!  I am so thankful for Susan.  Thanks for a wonderful trip!

(It was fun to come home and feel so much love from my family, too.  The entire next week I kept hearing how glad they were that I was home.  Definitely a "mommy appreciation" weekend, too:)!  I did miss them terribly.)

No comments: