Monday, January 19, 2015

Birthday Getaway!

We had such a wonderful Christmas break, it was really hard to get back to "real life".  The kids didn't want to get up for school Monday morning and, truthfully, neither did I.  But, I had something I was looking forward to just a few days later that kept me motivated:).  On Friday afternoon, we dropped Andon and Skyler off at the McCombie's after lunch, and Kyle "whisked" me away to another country to celebrate my birthday!

We headed to Sandpoint first so Kyle could visit an account on our way.  Then we headed north through Ione and Metaline Falls in far northeastern Washington.  We had dinner at cute little cafe' in Metaline, then crossed the border into Canada and drove about an hour north to Nelson, British Columbia.  We stayed the night in darling Nelson and woke to a winter wonderful with the snow falling. 

We had breakfast at a darling cafe' full of amazing French pastries.  We shared a hot cocoa, coffee cake, blueberry cinnamon roll, and a chocolate filled French croissant.  Oh, were they SO good.  I'm still craving more of the croissant:).  Then we drove up through beautiful British Columbia to Ainsworth Hot Springs.  It was so relaxing and just heavenly.  It is nestled right up against the mountain in this beautiful river valley with a lake in view while you sit and relax.  They have a pool that was 99 degrees, then a smaller pool area with the caves that go right into the mountain that was 104 degrees!  (Oh, and the 48 degree "cold bath" that Kyle dared to put his face in and I went up to my ankles; brrrr!) The caves were larger than we had expected and the water is about up to your knees when you're standing.  It feels like a sauna in there.  After soaking, relaxing, and just being together, we had a yummy lunch at their restaurant then made the trek home.


It was just so wonderful being with Kyle, and we had a great time talking and singing together on the long drive.  How I love him and am so grateful for how good he is to me!  I definitely felt spoiled to get to go for my birthday.

Mary McCombie watched our kids at our house.  They had a blast and didn't want us to come home.  We love Mary!

1 comment:

Sonia said...

That sounds so fun. I'm glad that you had a great birthday.