Sunday, December 18, 2011

Rules for Sleeping

Recently, we've had a little bedtime "problem" at our house: Kylene and Spencer just won't go to bed!  (I'm sure no one else has this same problem.)  Every night, they take turns coming out of their rooms with some excuse: I'm thirsty, I have to go to the bathroom, I can't go to sleep, my lips are dry, Spencer is singing too loud, etc., etc. etc.  We have gone through so many band-aids recently, just trying to help their hurt fingers!  Mommy and daddy are a little tired of it.

So...I did what any good mommy would do: we had a little "talk."  It went something like this: "I am tired of this.  NO MORE COMING OUT!"  How do you think it worked?  Well, you're right.  Same problem:). 

Actually, the "talk" was a bit longer, and we set a few ground rules.  Afterward, Kylene wanted to make a chart listing all the rules.  Here is what she created.  It definitely got a smile out of me.

Kylene, Rules for Sleeping
(She made another chart for Spencer with the same rules.)
1: Only come out if you are bleeding.
2: Chapstick is in the bathroom. (I told them they could go get this by themselves, with out talking to us first.)
3: Only get one drink.
4: If you can't go to sleep, keep trying!
5: Don't be too loud!

The last few nights, Kylene has read the rules out loud to Spencer while they're laying in bed.  And it seems to be helping.  At least for the next day or two, I'm sure...:)

1 comment:

Beth said...

Wow, I've never heard of that before, you must have difficult children. Mine all sleep through the night at 2 weeks. :)
Andon is soooooo cute.
BTW Ethan still takes my place in bed most nights. When Randy's out of town I have all three boys in my room. someday I'll get sleep!