Thursday afternoon (September 23), we met up with the Rummler family at Mount Rushmore (my sister, Alyson, and her family). They had driven up from Colorado that morning. We had fun touring and hiking around the Memorial, then we went out to dinner and walked around Keystone--a tourist town very close to Rushmore. Then we went on a hike around a great little lake, then back to Mount Rushmore for the evening show and lighting ceremony. So fun to be on a family vacation and get to spend time with extended family as well! Here are my favorite pics:
Best individual shots I got of the presidents: Lincoln, Roosevelt, Jefferson, and Washington.

A few shots around Rushmore. The bottom right is the sculptor's original model. Gutzon Borglum died before the sculpting of Mount Rushmore was complete and work on the mountain was stopped, so parts of Lincoln that were originally sculpted were never completed. It had rained that morning before we got there so in some of the pictures you can see the water streaks on their faces.
Fun with the Rummler's around the Memorial.
I guess I'll never be President; I don't look like one at all!
A little closer! Maybe without the sunglasses?
Family portrait. We were there!
Kyle has wanted to see Mount Rushmore as long as I can remember. We almost went last year but decided against it. I personally didn't think it would be all that exciting, but it turned out to be really neat. The mountains are impressive, and it's incredible the detail and likeness they were able to sculpt, primarily with dynamite! It was completed in 1941 and played an important role for our country amidst years of very difficult times. It still carries great symbolism. The evening show and lighting ceremony were very patriotic and did a wonderful job of portraying the greatness of this country. At the end they had all the veterans come to the front of the stage (amphitheater) and help lower the flag. I was amazed how many there were--they filled the stage. It was all a great experience and I'm glad we were able to visit.
No comments:
Post a Comment