Sunday, August 31, 2014

Yard Update

More progress--and mess--in our yard.  We are getting closer, and I love how it is taking shape.  Feel free to skip this blog post if all these pictures of a yard get boring.  I have taken a LOT, and believe it or not, this is only a few!

Below: Kyle, looking cute in the Mustang front loader, which he spent about 8 hours in, bringing 50 yards of dirt from our front yard to our back.  The underneath of the trampoline, showing our beautiful retaining wall.  Each of those blocks weighs 65 pounds and I got good at moving them, although my dad was better!  My mom, standing in front of the mountain of dirt from which we took the first 15-20 yards of dirt from.  And one of the three dump trucks of dirt we had delivered because it was so much easier to work with than the hard clay soil across the street.

 Below: Pictures of us and the young men we hired (Caleb and Dirk) dragging the dirt with the kids acting as weight:).  Planting our new trees.  I'm so excited to have cherry and apple trees!  Skyler, working hard.  He is such a trooper and loves to come out and help us dig and water.
 Below: Each of the kids, taking a turn "driving" the Mustang. (I think Kyle would have preferred a different kind of Mustang to drive!)
 Below: pictures of some of our trees pre- and post-planting.  Kyle showing off the over three foot long boulder we found and altered our landscape design so we wouldn't have to remove it.  The trenching machine they used to put in our irrigation.  The gravel base for our front walk-way and driveway expansion.  And the bottom right picture shows the other front loader they landscape company used to bring in 25 more yards of dirt (top soil) to prep for the sod.
We are now waiting for the concrete to be poured and the concrete curbing to be placed, then we will be ready to put the sod in.  Our front yard has taken a beating with all the heavy machinery on it, so we've decided to replace that as well.  So we need to get that all prepped for sod.  Then we need to do some finish work on our back patio.  But after these things, I am really hoping to stop yard work for the season and tackle it anew in the spring.  As fun as it is, I'm ready to focus on other things!

No comments: