It's hard to resist including these silly pictures of Andon. This little guy has so much personality, spunk, sass, and love! He is giving me a "run for the money"; it seems any parenting "trick" I learned with the other three doesn't work on him, so I have to figure out something new! He can be stubborn and oh-so-tender-hearted from one moment to the next, and he always finds a way to melt my heart no matter how naughty he has been. Actually, he pretty much pulls the reins on everyone in the family. Lucky guy!

We picked 50 lbs of strawberries in the rain. I left Andon with a friend, and the other three kids and I went to work. They did a great job (especially with not complaining too much in the rain) and it went quicker than I thought it would. We only made five batches of freezer jam, then froze the rest for smoothies, salads, etc. I can always make more jam if we run out over the winter, too. The kids helped with the jam for a little while, then my friend Sara came over and helped me finish while the kids played. It was fun visiting.
We started swim lessons the Monday after school got out. Kylene started learning to dive, and Spencer started swimming on his own for the first time! Skyler got more comfortable in the water and did some floating. They all passed to the next level! I was especially grateful for Spencer's instructor who worked miracles on getting him to relax in the water. The first couple of days he wouldn't even put his entire head under the water and by the end he was holding his breath to the count of 20+. He has always been so nervous in the water, but on the last day he even jumped off the high dive (to his coach waiting at the bottom). I enjoyed swimming lessons as well because there were three other ladies from our ward who had kids in lessons at the same time, so we enjoyed the time visiting.
Tutu and Grandpa and cousin Alohi came to visit and help us with the ward luau. They were a huge help getting things moved over, weeding and doing work in the yard, and playing with the kids. The adults went out for a yummy steak dinner one evening and Alohi babysat. Kyle's mom played the ukulele and sang at the luau and Alohi performed a number with Kylene (Little Brown Gal) and did a solo (Beautiful Kauai). We loved having them here!
June 7 was our Ward Luau. The young men and young women were in charge, so Kyle did a lot of work getting it ready. There was a great turnout with TONS of yummy food for the dinner. (The ward provided the Teriyaki chicken and rice; everyone else brought salad, rolls, or dessert.) Kyle then emceed the program. He taught the Young Men the Haka (Maori war dance) and I taught the Young Women the Hukilau hula to perform. Some High Priests did a hilarious Elvis/Blue Hawaii number, Alohi and Kylene performed a hula (I was so proud of her for getting up in front of everyone! She looked beautiful.), and Alohi did a solo hula. Kyle had Hawaiian trivia with candy leis for in between the numbers. It was a huge success and was so much fun to be a part of! It was a beautiful summer evening.
The last day of school came and went. It's hard to believe how quickly a school year passes. They held an awards assembly on the last day. They call the school-wide student award the "Grit Award" and both Kylene and Spencer received one. Kylene also reached the TWO Million Word Club for Accelerated Reader! There were about 10-12 kids in the one million word club, and only three kids in the two million word club. The kids were happy and sad school was over. I was mostly happy:). Fourth Grade, Second Grade, and Kindergarten (Skyler), here we come!
We said goodbye to our wonderful neighbors this past year, the Applegate's. They moved back to Tennessee to be closer to family. It was only a short time living next to them, but we enjoyed having neighbors we could trust and count on for help and play time with the kids. Jennifer and I enjoyed walking and doing yoga together (she patiently taught me; it was my first time!) and sharing goodies we made:).
We celebrated Kyle on Father's Day (June 15) by giving him breakfast in bed (homemade cinnamon rolls), and a few presents. He got to wear his double ties to church (made by Kylene and Spencer), and then we had all four Elders serving in our ward over for dinner. (He was nice enough to share his Father's Day with these future fathers.) I decided to try a Thai-themed dinner, and I think everyone enjoyed it.
We love our daddy and are so thankful for all he does for us. He has worked SO hard the last few months, and gotten little sleep and few breaks. Work has been pretty much non-stop stress (the good and the hard kind), he has been very busy serving the Young Men, and he has worked tirelessly on projects at both our rental and new house. I do as much as I can without him, but it seems I inevitably need his help for some part of every project. He is always willing and I love him for it! He has built an awesome bike rack in the garage, done tons of yard work, moved a zillion boxes and furniture items until I decide where I want them, etc. etc. We would truly be lost without our daddy!








No comments:
Post a Comment