Sunday, May 19, 2013

How Long is a Mission?

(I wish I could say I haven't blogged in a while only because life has slowed way down and there's nothing on which to report, but that just wouldn't be true.)

On April 8th, we excitedly welcomed my mom and dad home from their mission to Nagoya Japan!  It was such a wonderful reunion at the airport.  Their mission was cut a few months short by the surprising and sad diagnosis my mom received that she had Uterine Cancer.  (I say "had" because she has now had surgery; more on that later.)  Because it was just two weeks between finding out about the cancer and their homecoming, they were gracious enough to let us stay in their home upon their return.  (More on that later, too.)  It has been so wonderful having this time with them and hearing so many wonderful experiences of their mission.  They were incredible missionaries and a great support to the Mission President and his wife (President and Sister Baird).  They were saddened that they had to return home a bit early, but found joy in seeing family again.

We took "before" and "after" pictures of my mom and dad with the kids.  As you can see, they didn't age nearly as much as my kids!  Here is how long a mission is, in the eyes of a child.  I love the comparison.

Andon:

Skyler:


Spencer:


Kylene:
 
We love grandma and grandpa so much!  The kids have had a blast being with them so often and being spoiled by their grandparents.  What a gift it has been to have this time with them.

1 comment:

Glen & Kat said...

What a great idea! Those are some cute pictures.