March 11th is my maternal grandmother, Ruby Johnson Thornley's, 95th birthday! (She passed away two years ago.) In honor of her, my mom sent an email to my siblings requesting we do a special Family Home Evening sharing with our children our favorite memories of Grandma and Grandpa Thornley. We have a McCune family gathering tomorrow evening, so we had our family night tonight.
I took the pictures of my parents and maternal and paternal grandparents off the wall and we talked about who each person was. I also showed them the Barney family tree in "Our Heritage", a wonderful family history book Alyson created for all of us a few years ago. They loved seeing their own names as roots in the tree.
Then I asked each of the kids what they remembered about Grandma Ruby. Kylene remembered the most, of course, but even Spencer remembered sitting on her lap and playing at her house. Kylene remembered her swing set and sitting on a tall stool in her kitchen. Then Kyle and I each shared some memories. I told about the fun I had driving on my grandpa's tractor with him to the "bottomless lake" (I still don't know if it really was too deep to really find the bottom, but I'm doubtful in my older years!), how they were dairy farmers, irrigating their yard and the fun we had with that, their surprise visits to Oregon growing up, and how they made bird houses and other crafts working together after they retired.
I took the pictures of my parents and maternal and paternal grandparents off the wall and we talked about who each person was. I also showed them the Barney family tree in "Our Heritage", a wonderful family history book Alyson created for all of us a few years ago. They loved seeing their own names as roots in the tree.
Then I asked each of the kids what they remembered about Grandma Ruby. Kylene remembered the most, of course, but even Spencer remembered sitting on her lap and playing at her house. Kylene remembered her swing set and sitting on a tall stool in her kitchen. Then Kyle and I each shared some memories. I told about the fun I had driving on my grandpa's tractor with him to the "bottomless lake" (I still don't know if it really was too deep to really find the bottom, but I'm doubtful in my older years!), how they were dairy farmers, irrigating their yard and the fun we had with that, their surprise visits to Oregon growing up, and how they made bird houses and other crafts working together after they retired.
It was so fun reminiscing and lovingly remembering the wonderful grandparents they were (are) to me. I have so many fond memories. It was fun watching my kids' wide eyes listening to the stories and laughing when I told them we would open our front door and there grandma and grandpa would be!
It was a great family night. I think we need to do a lesson on all of each of grandparents in the coming months.
It was a great family night. I think we need to do a lesson on all of each of grandparents in the coming months.

No comments:
Post a Comment