Friday, March 25, 2011

Spencer's Happy Day

I think it's safe to say Spencer had a fabulous fourth birthday. He chose pancakes for breakfast, then we opened his presents from the family. I loved that he spontaneously gave hugs to Kylene and Skyler after opening the presents from them. We went to the library that morning, then he helped me make his birthday cake (licking the bowl below!) and get ready for the party.

He chose to have a Superhero/Superman party. A few weeks ago, he wore the Superman cape I made him for Christmas to music class. One of his friends there wanted to wear it the entire time, and was so excited when Spencer shared it. Spencer told me afterward he wanted all his friends who came to his party to have a Superman cape, too. At first I thought, No, but then I figured it wouldn't cost much more than all the party favors and junk I would otherwise be buying. And Superman capes are way better than candy. So, I decided to go for it. He invited five little friends so I had five capes to make.

When the boys arrived, we had a Superman obstacle course/relay to show their super human strength and earn their capes. They had to fly around the world three times (running around the globe), pick up two trucks (two Tonka trucks), crawl under a kitchen chair, jump through a hula hoop and grab a piece of Kryptonite to carry back to the start (a Lincoln log). The boys loved it, and were even more excited when I put their capes on afterward. Our house was full of super heros! (And with only one collision the entire time, I think we did pretty well:).)

Then we played "Cape, cape, superman" (Duck, duck, goose). I was laughing at the varied levels of understanding of how to play. It was a tricky concept for many of the boys who apparently hadn't played it much before. One boy said, "Cape, cape, goose!" And several wanted to run around every time. It was so cute. Then we played "Pin the badge on Superman", had cake, and opened presents. The last thing they did was "Resuce the princess," who was Kylene, of course! They wanted me to be the dragon, but four year old boys are suprisingly rough (they were all grabbing at me and jumping on me), so I let Kyle be the dragon from there on out. It was a really fun party with lots of really cute boys in our house. I was glad I kept it short and sweet at only an hour long:).

We love our sweet, Spencer. He he has such a tender heart, and has always loved cuddling and giving me hugs. He went through a phase this last year of not wanting any kisses. I finally discovered it was because he didn't like getting wet from them:). He still sticks his tongue out a little when he kisses, which cracks me up. His favorite playmate is Kylene; they play together for hours each day. He is starting to play with Skyler more and more, which is also fun to see. He loves to ride bikes, go for walks, play outside, blow bubbles, go to the park, and read. He will "read" books to himself, but mostly likes me to read to him, of which he can't seem to get enough.

Happy birthday, Spencer!

2 comments:

Beth said...

cute party ideas, games, and party favor (great time limit too).

Hope you are feeling well.

Memory Bybee said...

So SUPER awesome! You are a great and fun mom. Sounds and looks like everyone had a fantastic time.